Sunday, April 5, 2009

After the 6 month doc appointment....

Eli checked out great Monday at his 6month check up. He had a bit of a snotty nose but nothing to worry about. Then Monday night around 10pm, he started coughing a horrible cough! It sounded like he was hoarse and it worsened through the night. Around 2am, we all 3 were up, Eli was trying to cough and cry but struggled, and Jer and I were in a bit of a panic. I remembered that a kiddo at daycare had croup the week before and I asked his mom what it was and she told me a cough that sounded like a barking seal. I thought she was crazy to describe a cough like that... but once I heard Eli in the night, it hit me! He sounded like a barking seal! As the night progressed and I thumbed through my "Babies 1st year what to expect" book, I read to place him in a steamy bathroom and use a humidifier. Well at 2am, Eli and I were upstairs in the guest bathroom taking in the steam. I worried at one point that his lung collapsed because his breathing was so noisy and sounded like he was struggling to catch his breath. He ended up sleeping our bed in my arms so I could check on him through the night. I took him to the doc on Tuesday morning and sure enough-- CROUP! He was placed on steroids to open the airways so he could breathe. Tuesday night he was crying NON-STOP from 10pm to 4am. I had to go to school on Wednesday-- with 2 hours of sleep I was so happy to get out of the house and head to school! I needed the break! Jer stayed home with him Wednesday and Grams and Jamie came Thursday to watch him. Thursday night was rough again like Tuesday night. I took him back to see Dr. Vadalla on Friday and sure enough he has an ear infection. He has also lost a pound and a half since Monday--because he hasn't been eating or drinking much. Now he is on amoxacillin. I used to love the flavor of that stuff when I was a kid-- now its yucky and you have to get it flavored. I chose bubble gum flavor for Eli-- he doesn't care for it! I now have a medi-bottle. What a blessing! It has a syringe in the bottle and as Eli drinks the milk in the bottle, I press on the syringe to shoot in the medicine! He stops for a bit because he notices the change in texture and flavor of the milk, but sure enough goes back to drinking. What a blessing this little gadget is! Well, it's Sunday afternoon and Eli is more congested now than ever. I thought he was getting better but once again, the night time is not my friend. He started his congestion coughing and sounding hoarse. Please pray for our little man to get well soon. I hope and pray that this croup/ear infection doesn't turn into pneumonia as the doc said could happen. Eli has a sad little face this week. It's been tough getting him to smile.

Thank you Uncle Jamie and Grams for coming and taking care of our little man!


No comments: