Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Mt. Nebo-- Day trip

We made a day-trip to Mt. Nebo State Park on June 3rd to check it out. Originally I wanted to stay there but Jer insisted on Petit Jean. In the end, Petit was the better choice because it had more to explore and do. Mt. Nebo has great scenery but not as many trails and differentiated scenery.
I was the "driver" while we were going in and out of mountains. I am usually one to get car sick so I drove to deter that feeling. It worked! Well... Mount Nebo's first 2 miles up the mountain are VERY steep and "crooked" as the signs warn. The speed limit for the first two miles was 10 mph. As soon as you would get thru one switchack, you were headed into another. And each one climbed up at a 45 degree angle atleast! Not kidding! At about the 5th or 6th continual switchback, the car (as I call her "Miss Pearl") sort of stalled on me. Jer yelled out "go!" and I told him that I was trying and pumping/flooring the pedal. There was a motorcylcle behind us and was struggling and popping its way up the mountain too. All I could do was fear that my car would roll backwards and into the guy! Yes, I know... Brakes... but still. Anyways, after a minute the car finally skid out and took off. The only explanation we can think of is that the gas must have shifted back in the tank as we climbed... sloshed around to the back. We made it up Nebo... needless to say I was a bit too nervous to drive it back down. I had Jer do it. Even with the car in low gear he had to ride the brakes some... atleast he didnt burn up the brakes though... if it were me, I probably would have. Here are a couple pics from Nebo.
These lizards were everywhere. I am sure there are ones like this in Texas but I havent seen them. It reminded me of my ol iguana, Dino.
This is the view from a cabin. It was so peaceful.... makes you want to sit back and so nothing.... watch the days go by.
Jer teased that this would be my next vehicle
a pic of a switchback. It doesnt do it justice and show the angle... but you get the idea.

No comments: